Sunday, September 20, 2009

They FINALLY make it!

So FINALLY, after hours of headaches and frustration and tears and delays and everything else that went wrong, Kayla and Owen make to LA!! It was so nice to see them finally in California!! Their luggage had come hours before they did so I already had it loaded in the car, so we just got to hug and be glad they were safe and then jump in the car and head home. We get to the car, take off, start talking and everything is going well. We were all so excited that everything had worked out, me especially, that it wasn't until we were in the middle of no-where-land, out of cell service, at least 30 miles away from a gas station, that the gas light comes on and I realize we are going to run out of gas. Seriously, after the day we had had, it would have just been the icing on the cake! It's the middle of the night, we can't call anyone, the only cars we see are an occasional semi, and we just know that we are screwed. Nick is working in Inyokern, but I don't know if we're going to make it even to cell reception to call him. Kayla says we could start a small grass fire because his engine would be the one to respond, and even if they didn't have a tank of gas with them, at least they would know we were stranded and could get us help. By now we are laughing uncontrollably, because for me it was either that or cry. We somehow, after lots of prayers and luck, make it into Inyokern. I know that there is a gas station just past Nick's work, and it was a big down-hill, so we put it in neutral for as long as we can and coast to the gas station...only to find out that it doesn't pump gas all through the night! I had finally gotten ahold of Nick, and I'm somewhere between his station and Ridgecrest. I tell him I'm going to try and make it to Ridgecrest, but if he doesn't hear from me in a few minutes to come and find us, when out of nowhere a second gas station appears that I have never noticed before...and the pumps worked!! If it wasn't so nasty and covered in germs and who knows what else I would have kissed the pump, but I didn't, i just was very greatful...which I explained to the sheriff's officer who pulled in after us to make sure everything was OK! All in all, we got home extremely late, but we were safe and happy to be there, and the kids had a blast...starting early the next morning!
Even the kids were super excited that they finally made it!!

It wasn't my doing or my fault, the boy just loved Morgan's shoes!!

We got in some Rockband while they were here...go Owen!
Owen LOVED Morgan's 4-wheeler and was even gentleman enough to give his cousin a ride!
They kept zipping themselves up into the inside pocket of one of my suitcases...I don't know why but they were laughing and having a blast!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an unbelieveably frustrating day and a bit scary too!!! I'm glad to know that you guys all made it safe and had a good visit even after a rocky start!

    ReplyDelete